Use up that fresh okra and make this easy Air Fried Okra, simple to make gluten-free too!
As we head into the summer season, our okra is usually on overdrive as far as growth goes and we are making it ALL the time!
I love Fried Okra, but I would much rather make it with less oil which is why I love Air Fried Okra even more!
This particular recipe will focus on breading the okra with cornmeal and a little bit of flour or in my case, gluten-free flour.
If you prefer no breading, check out this Air Fryer Roasted Okra that is simply roasting it.
Tips for Making Air Fried Okra:
This okra will be made from a sliced standpoint, it can be done though with fresh or frozen okra.
Once it’s sliced, we will soak it for a bit in eggs and then coat it with breading. It’s best to use a Ziploc bag to place the breading ingredients along with the okra because it will be shaken to coat.
I have found Ziploc to withstand any of the off-brands, but that is also up to you!
Once you have the okra fully coated, I air-fried this in batches at 360*F for 8-10 minutes or until it was to my desired doneness.
I used 28oz of okra and it took 3 batches to fully cook it in a Ninja Foodi Air Fryer.
Be sure to adjust the ingredients based on the amount of okra that you plan to use.
For instance, you may want to start with 2 eggs if you have less okra and then add additional eggs if needed.
What oil should you use for Air Fried Okra?
Even though this okra will not be deep-fried, a little oil will still be needed. It’s best to use Grapeseed Oil Spray to coat the okra throughout the cooking time.
This gives it a nice coat of an oil without saturating the okra.
Can you store it in the freezer?
The breaded okra can be stored in the freezer in a freezer-safe bag for 2-3 months. This would be breaded without cooking.
After it is cooked, you would want to eat it in about a week or less. It can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container.
Air Fried Okra is so easy to make and even better to eat, plus a lot less oil!
Air Fried Okra
- 28 oz Fresh or Frozen Sliced Okra
- 4 Whole Eggs
- 1 Cup Gluten-Free Cornmeal or Regular Cornmeal
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or Regular Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt or to Taste
- 1 Ziploc Bag
- Grapeseed Oil Spray
- Prepare a bowl with the eggs and whisk them up well.
- Place the sliced okra in the beaten egg mixture to coat the okra, do this in batches if needed. Make sure the okra is fully coated.
- Using a Ziploc Bag, add in the cornmeal, flour, and salt.
- Place the egg coated okra into the ziploc bag with the cornmeal mixture. Make sure that any excess egg drips off before placing them into the bag.
- Fully seal the bag and shake the okra well to coat.
- Spray the basket of the air fryer with grapeseed oil spray.
- Place an even layer of okra into the basket of the air fryer.
- Cook at 375*F for 8-10 minutes or until browned to your preference.
- Continue doing this for each batch.
- Salt to taste.
Leave a Reply