Air Fryer Sesame Chicken
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Make a delicious dinner with Air Fryer Sesame Chicken!
I’ll tell you this again but one of my favorite air fryer chicken recipes is this Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken. I have found though that I can easily use the same method with a variety of sauces.
I decided to adapt this Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken and use the sauce for Air Fryer Sesame Chicken.
I wasn’t disappointed, it was delicious and a wonderful switch from our honey garlic variety.
Most of the air fryer recipes that I make are also gluten-free, I opted to make this gluten-free as well; however, I will say it’s a bit more time consuming than the others if you want to make this gluten-free.
How do you make Gluten-Free Air Fryer Sesame Chicken?
Finding the gluten-free soy sauce is rather easy at the store, they actually carry it at our local Walmart.
Now to find the gluten-free hoisin sauce, I found that nearly impossible.
It used to be readily available and it may have just been my location; however, you do need this sauce, you can simply make it yourself.
That’s right, it’s easy to make it yourself too, so be sure to follow this Gluten-Free Hoisin Sauce and you’ll have this dish gluten-free in minutes!
What is Hoisin Sauce?
This sauce has the texture of molasses. It’s got a sweet and spicy taste and is very similar to what I would consider a barbecue sauce. It’s used on grilled meats and also in this sesame sauce.
What do you need for Air Fryer Sesame Chicken?
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Orange Juice
- Hoisin Sauce
- Sesame Seeds
- Green Onions
Optional items that you could add would be rice and green beans, which is our preferred foods to serve sesame chicken with.
Are you looking for an Air Fryer?
If you are still searching for the perfect air fryer, be sure to check out my post on how to choose the right air fryer.
Does this recipe work as a Ninja Foodi Recipe?
This Air Fryer Sesame Chicken is the perfect Ninja Foodi Recipe. If using the Ninja Foodi, simply use the air crisp function to make this recipe and follow the instructions as written.
If you are using a Ninja Foodi, you can even cook the sauce right in the pot of the Ninja Foodi with the saute function.
The sauce would be made after the chicken is cooked and removed from the Foodi. Once the sauce is cooked, just add the chicken back in and mix it up.
It actually makes it a one-pot meal with the Ninja Foodi versus using the Air Fryer plus a saucepan.
Find more Air Fryer Recipes
For even more air fryer recipes, be sure to check out the Air Fryer Recipe Index.
Now let’s enjoy this Air Fryer Sesame Chicken!
- 6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
- Olive Oil Spray
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce or Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 5 Tsp Hoisin Sauce or Gluten-Free Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Garlic Clove, Crushed
- 1 Tbsp Cold Water
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- Green Onions
- Cooked Rice
- Cut the chicken into cubed chunks, then toss in a bowl with Cornstarch or Potato Starch. Use enough to coat the chicken evenly.
- Place in the Air Fryer and cook according to your Air Fryer Manual for chicken. (Note - I cooked ours on 390* for 24 Minutes, 12 minutes on each side.)
- While the chicken is cooking, in a small saucepan, begin to make the sauce.
- Add the soy sauce, brown sugar, orange juice, hoisin sauce, ground ginger, and garlic to the saucepan on medium-high heat. Whisk this up until well combined.
- Once the sugar has fully dissolved and a low boil is reached, whisk in the water and cornstarch.
- Mix in the sesame seeds. (The sauce should only take about 5 minutes or less to make on the stove and then an additional 5 minutes to thicken up.)
- Remove the sauce from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Once the chicken is done, remove from the air fryer and place in a bowl, and then coat with the sauce.
- Serve topped over rice and beans.
If you are using a Ninja Foodi, you can make the sauce in the pot of the foodi.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 137mg Sodium: 1100mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Protein: 30g