Get ready for a treat with these Air Fried Mushrooms, easy to make gluten-free too!
Do you love some Air Fried Mushrooms? This recipe is adapted from these Air Fryer Onion Rings to feature another tasty appetizer or snack.
Tips for Making Air Fried Mushrooms:
One thing to remember with these Air Fried Mushrooms is that they are not deep-fried, so although they are fabulous, remember this.
You will not have that deep-fried taste with air-fried foods, it still tastes “fried” but the batter will have a different texture in most cases.
This particular recipe will use buttermilk and eggs along with flour, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and garlic salt. The mushrooms are going to be dipped in the breadcrumb mixture, then back into the buttermilk and eggs, and a final coat of the breadcrumb mixture.
In these Air Fried Mushrooms, we use Italian seasoning to give them more flavor.
They can be served with ranch dressing or marinara sauce for dipping!
One thing to note is that when creating fried foods in the air fryer, keep grapeseed oil spray on hand to coat them and if they come out a little floury, just add another coat of oil spray.
This recipe takes about 15 minutes to fully cook to golden brown in a cold air fryer, not preheated. Remember as always to watch closely because all air fryers do heat differently.
The mushrooms can be cleaned and trimmed before dipping, if you want to remove the stem that can be done as well.
How do you make these mushrooms gluten-free?
If you want to make these gluten-free, you would use gluten-free all-purpose flour along with gluten-free breadcrumbs to make these gluten-free.
These are very simple swaps, we used Ian’s Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs and Better Batter Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour; however, you can use any that you prefer as long as they are 1:1 swaps.
Time to enjoy this tasty recipe!
- 16oz Small Whole Mushrooms
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or Regular Flour
- 1 Cups Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs or Regular Planko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
- Ranch Dressing or Marinara for Serving
- Dried Parsley to Garnish
- Clean and trim the mushrooms, set aside.
- Whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
- Combine the flour, breadcrumbs, salt, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Dip each mushroom into the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, then back into the flour again.
- Coat the basket of the air fryer with grapeseed oil spray.
- Place the mushrooms evenly into the air fryer.
- Coat the mushrooms with grapeseed oil spray.
- Cook in the Air Fryer at 390*F for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown. (Note - This is in a cold air fryer, it is not preheated. Be sure to check in on them around 10 minutes since all air fryers heat differently.)
- If they appear floury, coat again with grapeseed oil spray.
- Serve with ranch dressing or marinara for dipping and garnish with dried parsley.
This makes enough for an appetizer.
Start with the amounts listed for breadcrumbs and flour, add additional if needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 559mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g