Make these easy Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs in minutes in your Air Fryer, Ninja Foodi, or Ninja Speedi!
If you enjoyed these Air Fryer Chicken Thighs, then you will love these Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs. These are very simple to make and pair great with a variety of sides!
These chicken thighs can be made in the Air Fryer, Ninja Foodi, or Ninja Speedi. As long as it has an “Air Fryer” function, it can be made using these instructions.
How long does it take to cook Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs?
After the air fryer has preheated, these will take about 15 minutes depending on the amount of heat that your air fryer puts off.
It’s always best to have a meat thermometer on hand to monitor the temperature.
I used bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, those are best at 175*F. If you use boneless, skinless chicken thighs, then 165*F is the best option.
Can you put aluminum foil in the air fryer?
If you want to line your air fryer before making these, you can use aluminum foil, just be sure that it’s folded up on the sides so that air is still circulating.
Another option would be to use parchment paper that is specifically made for the air fryer.
With either option, ALWAYS be sure to put the paper in after you have food on it so that it’s weighted down.
Should you use boneless or bone-in chicken thighs in the Air Fryer?
If you use bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs, you will get more of a crispy outer skin such as you would with fried chicken.
If you use boneless and skinless, they will be crisp but not in the same way. It’s going to be completely up to your own preference and dietary needs on which one you would prefer.
This recipe will work with either one.
Tips for Making Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs:
We cooked these chicken thighs at 390*F in the Ninja Speedi. In the Cosori Air Fryer, they did better at 400*F.
They can cook anywhere between 390-400*F but it’s always best when air frying to be sure to check on the meat during the cooking time.
Any barbecue sauce can be used to make these, but here is a good homemade barbecue sauce.
Be sure to add this to your list of air fryer chicken recipes!
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- 2 Pounds Chicken Thighs (Bone-In and Skin-On)
- 2 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Barbecue Sauce
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 390*F for 4 minutes. (If using a Cosori, preheat to 400*F.)
- In a small bowl, combine the onion powder, salt, ground pepper, paprika, and chili pepper.
- Unpack and place the chicken thighs on a plate or tray.
- Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Coat the chicken thighs with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the seasonings on the chicken thighs.
- Gently rub the seasonings onto the chicken thighs.
- Place in the air fryer basket, do not overcrowd the basket, there needs to be enough room around the chicken for air to circulate.
- Air Fry at 390*F for 9 minutes. (If using a Cosori, keep the temperature at 400*F.)
- Flip the chicken and air fry for another 9 minutes.
- Using a silicone brush, brush the barbecue sauce on the chicken thighs while they are still in the air fryer.
- Air Fry for an additional 4 minutes, using the same temperature. The internal temperature needs to be at least 165*F to be fully cooked, but with bone-in 175*F is the best temperature.
- Serve and Enjoy!