Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes (Gluten-Free)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Grab the green tomatoes and make these Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes, easy to do gluten-free too!
It’s that time of year were gardens are plentiful and many times it’s easy to grab some green tomatoes right off the vine. That’s exactly what we did to make these Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes.
Of course, since I’m gluten-free, we opted to make these gluten-free but it’s totally up to you.
How do you make Gluten-Free Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes?
This is a simple switch of breadcrumbs and flour. If you need it to be gluten-free, use the gluten-free breadcrumbs.
As for the flour, use gluten-free flour. My personal favorite is Better Batter.
What type of spray or oil should you use for Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes?
Even though you are using an air fryer, it’s still going to need a little bit of oil but I mean a little bit not tablespoons of it. I find that Olive Oil Spray is the best option for the air fryer. I use it for everything, just a nice even coat gives it that crispy coating that you are used to when traditionally frying food.
That means you won’t need a whole saucepan of oil, that’s the benefit of the air fryer.
Can you use foil in an air fryer?
Yes! I actually prefer to use foil because it makes the basket much easier to clean. The key thing here is that it needs to not cover the entire basket. I roll mine up on the side. In order for the air fryer to work, the air has to circulate, so the foil cannot cover the entire basket.
Out of Buttermilk? I have a tip for that!
All you need are simple ingredients, many of which you likely have on hand too! If you do not have buttermilk, a simple trick is to replace the buttermilk with a touch of white vinegar and regular milk. It works just the same.
What do you need for Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes?
- Green Tomatoes
- Breadcrumbs or Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs
- Flour or Gluten-Free Flour
- Olive Oil Spray
- Foil if preferred
Now it’s time to make these tasty Air Fryer Fried Green Tomatoes. If you like these, you’ll love this Air Fryer Fried Zucchini & Yellow Squash too!
- 2 Medium Sized Green Tomatoes, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or Regular Flour
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs or Regular Bread Crumbs
- Salt to Taste
- Place the sliced tomatoes in a shallow bowl or dish and pour the buttermilk over them.
- Let them sit and soak for about 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare a bowl for the flour, a separate bowl for beaten eggs, and another bowl for the breadcrumbs.
- Add a dash of salt to the breadcrumbs.
- Dip the tomatoes in the flour, dust off any excess.
- Dip them in the eggs, let the excess drip off.
- Coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Place evenly in the Air Fryer.
- At this point, you can add some salt to them or salt them after they are done.
- Fry them in the Air Fryer on 390* for about 5 minutes on each side or until they are crispy.
- If you prefer, spray with some cooking spray to get them a little bit more brown in color.
Depending on the size of the tomatoes, you may need to add more flour or eggs to complete coating them all.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g