In less than 30 minutes make your own crispy Air Fryer Fish Sandwiches, these can be made gluten-free too!
If you enjoy Air Fried Fish, then you will love using that Air Fried Fish to make a crispy Air Fryer Fish Sandwich too!
Not only are these easy to make in minutes but they can also be made gluten-free if that’s a need too!
Can you use frozen fish fillets?
Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets can be used to make these fish sandwiches, that’s the easiest way to go about making these!
This recipe is going to focus on homemade, but the frozen fish fillets will certainly work well too.
How do you make these gluten-free?
A few swaps are needed to make these sandwiches gluten-free.
First, be sure to use a gluten-free bun to serve your sandwich. We prefer the Canyon Bakehouse brand, but your favorite brand will work just fine.
Next, you will need to use gluten-free all-purpose flour. Be sure to use 1:1 flour which means it can even be swapped with regular flour.
Lastly, use gluten-free breadcrumbs. This can be Panko Breadcrumbs or just standard breadcrumbs too. Either one will work. I have a few more crispy spots on my fish due to the use of gluten-free breadcrumbs.
They do have a different consistency than a traditional bread crumb, but the same great taste!
These are the only swaps needed but as always, check all ingredients before using.
What type of fish should you use for fish sandwiches?
White fish fillets work best for fish sandwiches, this includes:
- Alaskan Cod
The most commonly used is Cod.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Fish Sandwiches:
The fish is the only thing that will be cooked in the air fryer, then it is simply all about building your sandwiches with toppings that you prefer.
We use a bun, tomato, lettuce, and fish and then top it with tartar sauce before serving.
Air Fryer Fish Sandwiches
- 8 Fish Fillets (Cod, Tilapia, Polock, or other White Fish – usually about 1-2 pounds of fish)
- Cooking Oil Spray
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free or Regular Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Serve with Lemon Wedges and Tartar Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and seasonings, set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg.
- In a third bowl, add the flour.
- Pat fish dry with a paper towel.
- Dip each fillet in the flour, then egg and shake off excess.
- Coat with breadcrumbs.
- Spray fish with cooking oil spray of choice as well as the air fryer basket.
- Place the fish in the basket evenly. This may need to be done in batches.
- Cook in the Air Fryer at 390*F for 8-10 minutes, it’s best to turn it halfway and coat with additional spray.
- Serve with tartar sauce or your choice of sauce on a bun with lettuce and tomato.