Make your own Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich right in your Air Fryer, Ninja Foodi, or Ninja Speedi!
Do you love a good crispy chicken sandwich? How about one with some kick? If so, you are going to really love this Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich!
This sandwich is going to pair that great juicy chicken with a nice breading and pepper along with hot sauce to give it a good kick.
Can you make this sandwich gluten-free too?
This can easily be made gluten-free with a few simple swaps.
Be sure to use a gluten-free all-purpose flour such as Cup 4 Cup, Better Batter, or King Arthur Gluten-Free.
Then, you will also need to use gluten-free breadcrumbs, and then your bun would need to be switched too. These are simple swaps though and very easy to do.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich:
This sandwich does have several steps, so be sure to carefully read the recipe.
The first thing you want to do is slice the chicken breast in half lengthwise. This means you are cutting through the thickness of the chicken breast.
This will allow you to make 4 sandwiches with 2 chicken breasts and it will not be as thick, making it easier to eat as a sandwich.
There will be 2 dry coatings and 1 wet coating, so again be sure to follow closely.
It’s best to give the chicken a spritz of oil too when cooking it in the air fryer. This works best with Grapeseed Oil Spray since it has a higher smoke point.
If you need to store these, they are good to store in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
When ready to serve, place them back in the air fryer at 350*F for 3-4 minutes.
What if you don’t want a spicy sandwich?!
If you don’t want any spice and just a crispy chicken sandwich, omit the hot sauce.
Likewise, if you want it extra spicy, then add extra hot sauce.
Air Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 2/3 Cup Regular or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Chili Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
Wet Coating Mixture
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free or Regular Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmigiano Cheese
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Pepper
- Unpack the chicken breast and cut each in half lengthwise so that they are not as thick and this should then give you 4 to work with.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, large enough to fit the chicken, mix the flour, salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix this well and set aside.
- In another bowl or plate, mix the flour, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, and ground pepper.
- Take one piece of chicken breast and coat it with the first dry mixture.
- Transfer to the egg mixture and coat both sides.
- Finally, coat the chicken with the second dry mixture.
- Repeat the steps for the remaining chicken.
- Place the coated chicken in the air fryer in one layer, leaving enough room for the air to circulate all around.
- Spray some oil on top of the chicken.
- Air Fry at 360*F for 14 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- Place on a cooling rack and cook the remaining chicken. IF you want to keep it warm while the rest cooks, place it on a cookie sheet at 200*F in the oven.
- While the chicken is resting, butter your hamburger buns and air fry at 350*F for 2 minutes.
- Add condiments along with chicken and build your sandwich, then serve.