Make the BEST Air Fryer Chicken Stuffed Peppers in minutes with Salsa Chicken!
Air Fryer Chicken Stuffed Peppers are a great simple twist to traditional Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers.
These peppers are going to be stuffed with Salsa Chicken, which can be made either in the Slow Cooker or the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot. It’s a great one to use for tacos one night and use the rest on Stuffed Peppers the next day.
This chicken is made with taco seasoning and salsa, a great combination for these stuffed peppers.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Chicken Stuffed Peppers:
These peppers are basically being roasted in the air fryer, all of the stuffing for the peppers will already be cooked when you are stuffing them.
For these, I used Salsa Chicken, Cooked Rice, and Black Beans. Once the peppers are stuffed, they will be cooked at 360*F for about 10 minutes.
At that point, you can add cheese on top and cook for an additional few minutes until they are nice and soft.
We use Cotija Cheese for this recipe, it’s a crumbled cheese with a nice flavor. It does not really melt so keep that in mind when making these. It will melt a bit but not as Mozzarella would.
In these peppers, I did some melted Mexican Cheese, then topped it with Cotija as well.
The peppers give off a great flavor to the stuffing but they are also wonderful to cut up and eat with it.
Do you need to pre-bake or pre-cook the peppers?
These peppers do not need to be pre-baked or pre-cooked. I have never done so and they are easy to slice right into the stuffing when they are done in the Air Fryer.
This would end up being personal preference; however, I feel like this method has given a nice cross between too soft or too crunchy, they’ve always come out just right.
Remember though that all air fryers heat differently so if this is your first time making peppers in your Air Fryer, you will want to watch them closely.
Serve these with Air Fryer Mexican Street Corn!
Air Fryer Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 6 Bell Peppers (Any Color)
- 1 Cup Salsa Chicken
- 1 Cup Cooked White Rice
- 1 Cup Black Beans (Rinsed and Drained)
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Cotija Cheese
How to Make Salsa Chicken:
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast or Thighs
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 2 Cups Salsa
- This recipe uses prepared Salsa Chicken, please see the link to prepare this in advance. This chicken is packed with flavor which will enhance the flavor of the stuffed peppers.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and clean the seeds out.
- In a bowl, add the chicken, cooked rice, and black beans.
- Mix this well and stuff each of the peppers with the filling.
- Place the peppers evenly in the air fryer, this may need to be done in batches of 3 if they did not all fit.
- Cook at 360*F in the Air Fryer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully open the lid and top with cheese and cook an additional 2-5 minutes until the peppers are soft.
- Carefully remove and serve.
To Make Salsa Chicken:
- If making in the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot, coat the pot with Grapeseed Oil Cooking Spray. If you are using a Slow Cooker, do this as well.
- Place the chicken on the bottom, top evenly with taco seasoning and then evenly pour the salsa over the chicken.
- Secure the pressure cooker lid if needed and set the nozzle to SEAL.
- If you are using the Slow Cooker, cook on low for 8 hours.
- If you are using the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot and using chicken breast cook for 10 minutes on HIGH.
- If you are using the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot and using chicken thighs cook for 12 minutes on high.
- If using the slow cooker when the 8 hours are up simply shred up the chicken and move on with the pepper instructions.
- If using the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot – Do nothing after the timer goes off and let it naturally release for 5 minutes. Carefully move the nozzle to VENT and let all the pressure release, then shred and carry on with the pepper instructions.
- Remember with whichever method you choose…the chicken must have an internal temperature of at least 165*F to be considered fully cooked.