Air Fryer Beef & Bean Chimichangas
Make a delicious dinner right at home with these Air Fryer Beef & Bean Chimichangas!
My husband loves chimichangas, so I knew at some point I had to try them in the air fryer. Of course, I do most things gluten-free too and I will say these are better with flour tortillas, it’s really the best ones for them.
If you do need them to be gluten-free try them with Mission Gluten-Free Tortillas. These have the closest taste and texture to a regular flour tortilla.
In light of this particular recipe, we used the regular flour tortillas.
What size tortilla should you use for Air Fryer Chimichangas?
I actually went with the taco size tortillas, simply because I thought it was better portion size and was able to fit more in the air fryer. In using this size, the kids got the exact portion they needed and the adults could have more than one if they prefer.
If you do want the restaurant size chimichangas to use the burrito size tortillas. If you use the burrito size tortillas, you will likely only be able to cook 2 at a time in the air fryer.
How do you fold the tortilla for a chimichanga?
Fill the chimichanga in the middle, once it’s filled, fold the sides closest to the filling up and then the other two sides in. Think of it like wrapping a present. The key is simply to make sure it’s folded tight to hold in the filling.
As the chimichanga cooks, it’s going to seal the sides together.
What do you need for Air Fryer Beef & Bean Chimichangas?
- Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning
- Refried Beans
- Shredded Cheese
- Flour Tortillas
- Toppings – Sour Cream, Lettuce, Tomato, Salsa, Avocado, Queso
The stuffing inside the chimichanga is very much customizable, you can really use the ingredients that you like. We mixed together with the beans with the ground beef. This can also be done with shredded chicken as well.
Enjoy these Air Fryer Chimichangas!
Be sure to check out these Air Fryer Tacos too.
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup Refried Beans
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 10 Taco Size Flour Tortillas or 5 Burrito Flour Size Tortillas
- Toppings - Queso, Lettuce, Tomato, Sour Cream, Salsa
- Brown the ground beef and add the taco seasoning as instructed. If you are using a Ninja Foodi, you can do this in the foodi using the saute setting.
- Once the meat is cooked, mix in the refried beans.
- Add the mixture to the middle of each tortillas and top with shredded cheese.
- Fold the tortilla up to be sure that all the toppings are securely inside the tortilla.
- Spray the air fryer with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil spray.
- Place the chimichangas seam side down into the air fryer.
- Spray them with a coat of olive oil spray. This can also be done with avocado cooking spray.
- Cook at 360 degrees for 8 minutes. Check on them at 5 minutes to be sure they are cooking nicely.
- Once done they should be lightly browned on top and the tortilla will be nicely secured.
Remember all air fryers heat differently, be sure to check on these around the 5 minute mark to be sure they are cooking up well. With some air fryers they may need to be cooked for 10 minutes. The filling is already cooked, so the may thing is getting the tortilla cooked.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 580 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 986mg Carbohydrates: 66g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 4g Protein: 29g