Make these tasty Air Fryer Meatball Subs in minutes!
Air Fryer Meatball Subs may be the easiest meal to make in the Air Fryer and in our house, my daughter gives these 10,000 thumbs up!
They are one of my many go-to meals for a busy weeknight when I don’t have many minutes to get dinner on the table. They can be messy but they are definitely yummy.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Meatball Subs:
The first thing to do is to use either leftover meatballs or these Air Fryer Frozen Meatballs.
These can be made with warmed-up meatballs and then simply build your sandwich and toast it.
The best cheese to use for these in my opinion is fresh mozzarella that has been cut into slices. If you prefer a different cheese though feel free to use your favorite.
Bagged, shredded Mozzarella does not melt the same way as fresh mozzarella so keep that in mind too.
We always use Prego Meat Sauce for these Air Fryer Meatball Subs but you can use your favorite marinara sauce.
These sandwiches will be toasted in the air fryer, the tricky part is getting them out of the basket without burning your hands. Be sure to use a strong spatula that can release them from the bottom and pull them out but remember not to touch the basket, it’s hot!
If this is your first time making these check-in after about 5 minutes to be sure it’s toasting up fine and not overcooking. Remember that all air fryers do heat differently, so it’s best to check on them throughout cooking time.
Can you use aluminum foil in the air fryer?
If you prefer to have a little less mess, you can use foil in your air fryer but be sure the sides are rolled up a bit so that air can still circulate.
Another option is air fryer parchment paper that has holes in the bottom, it’s very easy to use and makes clean up a breeze.
Enjoy these tasty subs!
Air Fryer Meatball Subs
- 4 Hoagie Rolls
- Garlic Salt
- 20 Cooked Meatballs
- 1 Cup Marinara or Meat Sauce
- 8 Slices Fresh Mozzarella
- Slice the hoagies if not already and add a spread of butter to each side along with a dash of garlic salt. Do this with each hoagie roll.
- Add a layer of cooked, warm meatballs. (Warm these up for a few minutes because they won't be in the air fryer long.)
- Top it evenly with the marinara sauce.
- Add 2 slices of mozarella.
- Carefully place the hoagies into the basket of the air fryer.
- Cook at 360*F for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Carefully remove from the basket and serve. Repeat for additional sandwiches.