Make a Mediterranean-inspired meal with this Air Fryer Falafel using the Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Mix!
Are you ready for a wonderful treat made right in your Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi? These Falafels come out wonderfully without any oil or extra fats!
What mix do you use for Gluten-Free Falafels?
For this particular recipe, we will be using Trader Joe’s Falafel Mix, which is also gluten-free and vegan.
If you prefer to make them from scratch, use this recipe for Falafels, and then you can use the method for the air fryer to cook them.
How do you serve Falafels?
Falafels can be served over a bed of greens, or rice, in a pita, or simply with Tahini or Hummus.
We served them on a tray of a variety of items to pair with them, such as tomatoes, hummus, Air Fryer Chickpeas, and rice.
This grab-and-go sampler was a hit with the kids for dinner, especially when eating in between pool time, you can serve it right outside by the pool!
How do you use Trader Joe’s Falafel Mix in the Air Fryer?
This mix is very easy to use and make several falafels, we used the mix as instructed on the box to prepare.
This mix is gluten-free and vegan, which is perfect for us and it tastes like a wonderful southern-style falafel.
I was able to order it on Amazon as we don’t live super close to a Trader Joe’s, but they are most likely less costly at the actual store when shopping in-store.
Once they were prepared, I placed them in a lightly sprayed air fryer. This is sprayed with Grapeseed Oil Spray, then these are cooked in the air fryer at 390°F for 10 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time.
Additional Grapeseed Oil Spray can be used as well; however, we did not see any extra need for it but it can certainly be used if needed.
This gives it a spritz of oil without deep frying them in a pot of oil.
This method was adapted from our Air Fryer Hush Puppies.
Time to enjoy these Air Fryer Falafels!
Air Fryer Falafel
- 2 Cups Dry Trader Joe's Falafel Mix
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- Grapeseed Oil Spray
- In a medium-sized bowl, add in the dry mix and then blend in the water to create the batter.
- Cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- When ready to make spray the air fryer basket with grapeseed oil spray.
- Use a scoop to create balls with the batter between 1-2 inches in size.
- Place each one evenly into the basket of the air fryer, leaving about 1-2 inches in between each one. This may need to be cooked in batches.
- Air Fry at 390°F for 5 minutes, carefully turn the falafel and air fry for an additional 5 minutes. Spritz with additional grapeseed oil spray if preferred.
- Continue for the remaining batter and serve.