Make a quick and easy meal with simple ingredients with Air Fryer Bang Bang Chicken, make it gluten-free too!
If you’re craving a zesty and flavorful dish that packs a punch, look no further than Air Fryer Bang Bang Chicken.
This recipe takes the classic Bang Bang Chicken to new heights by using the power of the air fryer to create a crispy coating without the need for deep frying.
Even better is that this can easily be made Gluten-Free too if that’s a need with a few simple swaps.
How do you make Gluten-Free Bang Bang Chicken?
A few simple swaps are needed, you would want to use a gluten-free all-purpose flour such as King Arthur, Cup 4 Cup, or Better Batter.
This needs to be a 1:1 flour, meaning that you would do even swaps of it with regular flour.
Along with this swap, you would also want to use gluten-free breadcrumbs too.
Advantages of using the Air Fryer:
By using the air fryer, you will get a healthier version of Bang Bang Chicken due to the minimal oil that would be needed.
We like to use a light coat of grapeseed oil spray when making this but other than that, there is no deep frying involved.
The air fryer will use hot air circulation to make this crispy on the outside and tender inside.
What do you serve Bang Bang Chicken with?
Bang Bang Chicken is going to be served with a sweet and spicy sauce.
This sauce is a combination of mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce. This can be made while the chicken is cooking and then set aside until you are ready to serve.
With the convenience and health benefits of air frying, this recipe brings out the best in tender chicken and a creamy, spicy sauce.
Air Fryer Bang Bang Chicken
- 1 1/2 Pounds Chicken Breast
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2/3 Cup Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cornstarch
- 1 Tsp Hot Sauce
- 1 Cup Gluten-Free or Regular Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- Preheat the air fryer to 390*F for 3 minutes.
- Trim the chicken and cut it into bite-size pieces about 1 inch and place into a mixing bowl.
- Add the salt, onion powder, and ground pepper to the chicken. Mix with your hands to coat every bite with seasoning. Place it back in the fridge.
- In a separate, large bowl, add the buttermilk, flour, cornstarch, and hot sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Place the chicken bites into the buttermilk mixture. Soak every piece so they are well coated.
- Take one piece and shake off the excess, then roll each piece into the breadcrumbs.
- Place coated chicken bites into the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer, leaving room between them.
- Air Fry at 390*F for 12-14 minutes, rotate halfway through the cooking time. The internal temperature needs to be at least 165*F. Continue the process for all additional chicken. Keep the chicken that is going to go in next in the fridge until you are ready to cook it.
- If you want to keep the cooked ones warm while you make the rest, place them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200*F.
- To make the sauce, whisk together the mayo and chili sauce until well combined into a creamy sauce. Serve the chicken with the sauce.