Get that movie theater taste with this Air Fryer Popcorn!
Air Fryer Popcorn is a better option than microwavable popcorn, plus you can easily customize the seasoning making it a great easy snack. This is the perfect way to elevate your home movie nights!
I’ve made popcorn in the microwave, stove, and air popper, but in the air fryer? It’s amazing! It gives the popcorn this roasted taste, not burnt but more roasted than it would be using microwave popcorn or air popper.
It has more of that movie theater popcorn taste to it for some reason.
Now, to make Air Fryer Popcorn it can be a bit tricky.
Can you make Ninja Foodi Popcorn?
This can be made as Ninja Foodi Popcorn or Air Fryer Popcorn, either way, you will get the same result.
If you use the Ninja Foodi, simply use the air crisp function of the Ninja Foodi and follow all the remaining instructions.
This can be made in any Ninja product that has an air fryer function such as the Ninja Speedi.
Can you use aluminum foil in an air fryer?
Aluminum tin foil can be used in an air fryer. If you have an air fryer basket that has large holes enough for the kernels to fall through it, then you will want to place them on a sheet of foil and simply roll up the edges so the air still circulates.
Remember that you must put the kernels on it before starting the air fryer. If you do not have food weighing it down, the foil can cause a fire hazard by blowing into the heating element.
In order to avoid this, simply weigh the foil down with the food. If it is not weighted down enough, you can also place a metal fork or spoon on top of it to hold it down.
I made ours sort of like a pouch and used 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels to put inside.
How do you make Air Fryer Popcorn?
Once the kernels are in the foil, coat them with a little oil, such as grapeseed oil spray. Then, you will cook it at 390*F in the air fryer for 15 minutes, keeping a close eye on it so it does not burn.
I made ours sort of like a pouch and used a quarter cup of kernels to put inside.
You’ll hear the popping and you certainly want to be sure there is a lid on the air fryer so the popcorn isn’t flying all over the place. I just peeked in to see how it was cooking for around 10 minutes and let it go for 15 minutes.
There will be some kernels that do not pop, just like you see when microwaving popcorn.
What cooking spray should you use to air fry popcorn?
We do use olive oil fairly regularly without issue; however, the smoke point is not as high as it is with Grapeseed oil, so grapeseed oil would be the better option.
I would avoid avocado oil and coconut oil as their smoke points are lower.
Important Reminders when making Air Fryer Popcorn:
- Make sure that the basket is only filled in a single layer so that it is not overcrowded. If you use too much popcorn then there will be a significant amount of un-popped kernels.
- Every few minutes, you need to shake the basket to expose the kernels to hot air.
- Do not leave this unattended because the kernels can burn easily.
- If you want, you can take the popped popcorn out and reheat the unpopped kernels so that they will pop.
- Remember to watch this closely the first few times you make it so that you can be sure that no kernels blow into the heating element. Air Fryer Popcorn is definitely one that you have to really monitor because each machine is so different.
How should you season Air Fryer Popcorn?
With a few simple seasonings, you can easily make different flavors of popcorn.
- Classic – A little bit of salt is added to the popcorn for classic salted popcorn.
- Cheese – Add powdered cheese to your popcorn along with salt and butter, this is a fun way to make some cheese popcorn.
- Garlic – Add a little bit of garlic salt and garlic powder to your popcorn for a nice garlic flavor.
- Cinnamon – Add a little bit of cinnamon and sugar to your popcorn for a sweet flavor.
- Ranch – Add ranch seasoning packet to your popcorn for a zesty popcorn.
- Parmesan – Add a mixture of parmesan cheese and garlic salt to make a savory, delicious snack.
Check out this full list of popcorn seasoning recipes, one of the best I’ve found with a variety of flavor options! Get creative with some of your favorite seasonings.
We found that we loved the taste of just plain popcorn kernels, it tasted roasted and delicious.
What is the benefit of making easy Air Fryer Popcorn?
Making small batches of popcorn is a great way to get a warm, fresh snack with less oil than your traditional homemade popcorn.
Can you really cook Air Fryer Popcorn in 5 minutes?
We have been making this since 2018, and in that time with multiple air fryers, it has always taken about 15 minutes to get the kernels fully popped.
It is VERY important though to check on the popcorn or listen to see if it’s still popping around the 5-minute mark and then again at 10 minutes.
Different brands of machines put off a different level of heat so one machine that is 400°F may be warmer than another at the same temperature.
Once you get the hang of your machine and the proper cooking time for your machine, this will end up being a great way to make a quick snack!
Air Fryer Popcorn
- 1/4 Cup Popcorn Kernals
- Grapeseed Oil Cooking Spray
- Aluminum Foil
- Salt to Taste
- Make a foil packet or pouch and put the kernels on top, making sure it fits your air fryer and is rolled up on the sides. Make sure this is an even layer.
- Spray the kernels with grapeseed oil cooking spray.
- Cook at 390*F for 15 minutes, checking in on it carefully around 5 minutes and 10 minutes. When checking on it be very careful because when the kernels get exposed to hot air, they pop. Be sure the lid is nice and sealed on the air fryer.
- Carefully remove once done and discard the kernels that didn’t pop and serve with the seasoning of choice.