Make perfect Air Fryer French Fried Onions, top over steaks, or add to recipes, easy to make Gluten-Free too!
This recipe is going to be adapted from Air Fryer Onion Rings, the only major change is the size of the onions.
When making French Fried Onions, the onions need to be as thin as you can possibly get them, that’s the only difference in these recipes.
How do you thinly slice onions?
Either way, you will want to make sure they are thin enough to be similar to the French fried onions that you would buy at the store.
How do you make Gluten-Free Air Fryer French Fried Onions?
A few swaps are needed to make these gluten-free.
Use a gluten-free all-purpose flour that is a 1:1 swap, which could be Better Batter, Cup 4 Cup, or King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour.
Remember to be sure it is an even ratio of regular flour to gluten-free flour.
Next, you will need to use gluten-free breadcrumbs. Not all gluten-free breadcrumbs are made the same, so be sure to get finely chopped breadcrumbs.
The ones you see in these pictures were a bit thicker than I’d prefer, they have much finer types such as these, Schar Breadcrumbs. These are normally found easily at Walmart.
Why do you need to soak the onions first?
Soaking the onions in buttermilk will help bring down the tangy flavor a bit. It helps them not be quite as potent. If you skip this step it may taste like you’re eating the onion like an apple, so don’t skip this step!
Tips for Making Air Fryer French Fried Onions:
This recipe is simple to follow, the key is cutting the onions thin enough and working in batches if you need to.
An additional egg may be needed if you have more onions as well, but I suggest starting out with 2, then adding more if needed as you bread the onions.
This goes for salt as well, they will need to be salted to taste.
It’s best to give these a nice coat of oil, such as Grapeseed Oil Spray, this will give them that browned and crunchy taste and texture.
Now it’s time to enjoy these Air Fryer French Fried Onions!
Air Fryer French Fried Onions
- 1 Large White Onion
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour or Regular Flour
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs or Regular Bread Crumbs
- Salt to Taste
- Thinly slice the onion as thin as possible or use a mandolin to thinly slice.
- Place the onions in a shallow bowl or dish and pour the buttermilk over them.
- Let them sit and soak for 1-2 hours.
- Prepare a bowl for the flour, a separate bowl for beaten eggs, and another bowl for the breadcrumbs.
- Add a dash of salt to the breadcrumbs.
- Dip the onions in the flour, dust off any excess.
- Dip them in the eggs, let the excess drip off. Additional eggs may be needed depending on the size of the onion.
- Coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Place evenly in the Air Fryer.
- At this point, you can add some salt to them or salt them after they are done.
- Fry them in the Air Fryer on 390°F for about 4-5 minutes, then carefully flip or shake the basket and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- If you prefer, spray with some cooking spray to get them a little bit more brown in color, Grapeseed Oil Spray works well for this.