Get ready to make these delicious Air Fryer Empanadas using a puff pastry in your air fryer or Ninja Foodi!
Get ready to make a great treat with these Air Fryer Empanadas. Let me start by saying these are not traditional, so do not expect that. This recipe can be adapted though to make a traditional version as well.
These empanadas are very easy to customize, so feel free to do that.
What dough do you use for Air Fryer Empanadas?
This recipe uses Puff Pastry Sheets similar to these Air Fryer Apple Pies.
If you do prefer a more traditional dough, be sure to check out this dough recipe. Remember if you use a different dough, the cooking times may need to be adjusted so watch them closely.
This particular recipe is using cooking times for the puff pastry.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Empanadas:
These empanadas are stuffed with ground beef, coated with taco seasoning as well as beef broth and vegetables.
The filling will need to be cooked on the stove in a skillet or if you are using a Ninja Foodi Multi-Cooker, it can be done in the pot of the Ninja Foodi.
If you use a Ninja Foodi, you will first cook the filling using the saute function of the Ninja Foodi. Once that is complete, you would need to carefully clean the pot of the Ninja Foodi and move forward with the Air Crisp function.
If you are making these for the first time in the air fryer, depending on how much heat your air fryer creates, the cooking time may vary. It’s best to cook them for about 8-10 minutes, watching them closely.
The egg wash is what will give it that nice golden brown appearance, so be sure to do the egg wash on the puff pastry.
These are hand pie size and are sealed with the end of a fork.
Air Fryer Empanadas make for a great lunch or dinner, perfect to pair with your favorite homemade salsa.
- 1 Package of Puff Pastry Sheets (2 Sheets)
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 1 Package of Taco Seasoning or Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup Beef Broth
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Yellow or White Onion
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Carrots
- 1 Cup Diced Potato (Peeled)
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- Begin by using a skillet on the stove and brown the ground beef then add in the taco seasoning per the package ingredients.
- Lower the heat and pour in the beef broth, onion, carrot, and potatoes.
- Cook until the veggies are soft and most of the liquid has been soaked into the veggies.
- While this is cooking prepare the pastry sheet, flatten the pastry sheet if not already, and then use a round biscuit cutter to cut out the dough. It should be easily pliable as well to stretch it a bit larger if needed.
- Use each round cut out and fill it with a bit of the cooked ground beef filling and then bring one side of the circle to the other to close it. Again it can stretch easily, seal it with the end of a fork.
- Place each filled empanada into the basket of the air fryer or the ninja foodi.
- Once full, use a brush to coat all of them with the beaten egg to give it a nice egg wash.
- Cook at 360*F for 8-10 minutes or until browned. If needed you can spray them with grapeseed cooking oil spray as well.
- Repeat these steps as needed for additional batches.
The amount this makes will vary based on how many you plan to make and the amount of filling you have.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g